Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's on the door in the previous post

On the left, some personal photos: my son; me and my son at his first mets game in 2004; him and his mother on the Southwyck carousel in Toledo; a print I made of him; my wife and I dancing at a wedding; my dad; my son laughing when he was a few months old.

A postcard of a middle eastern painting. A polaroid of Gilligan's Island. A polaroid of a beach movie. A couple old photos I found in a thrift store. A clipping of a photo of silent film star Louise Brooks from an old New York magazine. Johnny Cash.

Reproduction of a drawing by my friend Jeff Gabel, which posits that guilt is the major impulse in art making.

Some Preston Sturges quotations. Giulietta Masina in La Strada. An early American portrait. Bela Lugosi and friend, from a BAM calendar. Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret, dancing in Viva Las Vegas. A baroque Spanish still life. An Ingres drawing.

A watercolor by my son.

"I was so modest then that I was vain." Willem de Kooning.

"The movies are the best proof that Americans are liveliest and freest when we don't take ourselves too seriously." Pauline Kael.

"When you are afraid of making too many paintings, then you will make a good painting." Kung Hsien.

"If I could tell you anything, I would say that you have time." Agnes Martin.

Fortune cookie fortune: When the time comes, take the top one.

No comments: