Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Books




I have a lot of books in my studio. I like to have books around. I kind of have to have books around, just the way I was raised. In my studio are artist monographs, exhibition catalogs, comic books, novels, notes on craft, criticism, movie books, and just plain weird little things that I've picked up here and there because they appeal to me for whatever reason. These pics give you an idea.
Artists: de Kooning, Matisse, Diebenkorn, Hiroshige, Beckmann, Bonnard, Elizabeth Murray, Katz, Gerhard Richter, Luc Tuymans, Manet, Cezanne, Degas, Guston, Morandi, La Tour, Vermeer, Seurat....
Movies: a book on Godard with lots of great pics, Kael's I Lost it at the Movies, Naha's Horrors from Screen to Scream [a book from my childhood], Lumet's Making Movies....
Novelists and fiction: James, Hammett, Chandler, Kundera, Hornby, Greene, Gardner....
Miscellaneous: Bowling for All, an old instructional football book, a couple books about lovebirds that were presents from a couple old friends when I moved in, an old junior high health text from the 1970's, a kid's book about the human body, Origins of Marvel Comics and its two sequels....
Criticism: Kael, Porter, Ashberry....
They come from all over, the books. Most are second hand, one way or another, found on a stoop, bought at a used shop or library sale, gift from friends. That's another good thing about books, they come from all over, and you never know when one will catch your eye, or why.

No comments: