Monday, February 11, 2008

Directions

2000, oil on canvas, 26x36in.

I saw The Incredibles again a couple times this weekend with my 3 1/2 year-old son. Thankfully, most of the stuff that he likes to watch is fun for me to watch over and over. Especially The Incredibles, which I think is the best superhero movie out there, better than all of the best live-action ones, although I love the first two Spider-Mans, and some of the X-Men movies probably aren't too far behind. Maybe Hellboy, too. Tim Burton's Batmans I liked, but I'm not sure they've aged all that well [Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman notwithstanding]. After that, they were pretty much unwatchable until Batman Begins. And the first two Christopher Reeve Supermans are good movies, and really sweet, which seems like an odd thing to say about a superhero movie. But I'll take The Incredibles over all them, for the action, the comedy, the characters, the design, the affection of its satire, and really just the whole world it creates. Good stuff. Come to think of it, it's probably the best James Bond movie out there, too. And that's it for my monologuing.

No comments: